Thursday, October 4, 2007

Bug Day 2007 and other recent goings on


As seen here, bug day was another huge hit this year. My personal favorite was my biggest pistol in class dressed up as a cocroach. Perfect. Another little weasel in a different class dressed up as a mosquito. It was a fun day. We had a bug hunt where we hid bugs all over the cafeteria and let them find them (don't worry- I've never found a real bug in there- just the occasional gecko who actually helps us with the bug population). Kids made ants out of playdough. They got to see real dead bugs and play a dead bug game in PE. I think it had something to do with running around and then falling over and laying like a dead bug. At any rate, it was a fun-filled day and I was tired that night. I had a great time planning and executing it with my fellow first grade teachers. Picutred here is Kristin, another first grade teacher who is becoming a good friend.



In other news, dancing has become a more regular part of my life here this year, which has been such a gift to my heart. I'm taking hula lessons once a week from another fellow teacher who is Hawaiian, and I went salsa dancing and met a guy who is loosely my salsa partner. His name is Julio, he is Colombian-American, and he is a marine who is stationed at the US Embassy here in Bangkok as a guard. He actually invited me to the Marine Corps Ball in early November, which I am so excited about. I'm getting a pretty red dress made and am quite excited to go to an elegant affair and feel super beautiful for an evening. I can't wait!

Ministry-wise, God continues to humble me and make me thankful for what I get to be a part of here. My students continue to ask great questions about who God is and what he is like, and I continue to go out with Nightlight Friday nights in order to share life with women there. It remains a challenge and is tougher to see some nights than others. About 3 weeks ago I was hit with the raw reality of how unpleasent that whole situation really is and I took the next week off in order to kind of recoop and center. I was back in the game this past Friday which was hard, but good. I'm always blessed when I get to go and share life and hope with those who don't have much of that. Another cool thing going on with this is I invited my new friends Kamyee and Mihoko to come on outreach with me, and I think they both may start to minister regularly with Nightlight! Mihoko is Japanese but is fluent in Thai, and it was beautiful to see her connect with the girls in the bars, speaking their heart language. And Kamyee is American with great hopes to learn Thai- hopes that increase each time she has come with me to the bars. God has been breaking her heart for those invovled in prostitution, so I LOVE that be brought her here and crossed my path with hers so she has this opportunity to share love with this group of folks for which she feels burdened. A slightly unrelated but interesting fact is that she also likes running. :) We signed up to do a 10K race here in Bangkok at the end of the month! We're so excited! I'll be sure to post pictures of this event. It's sure to be a drippy and sweaty one.

So I guess that's it. I feel like I'm riding the blessing train right now- just slathered with his affections. I hope all of you are enjoying his abundant promises, too. Thanks for reading!

No comments: